Talk to Someone

SHARE (Sexual Harassment and Assault Response & Education Center)

You may contact SHARE at 203.432.2000 (call anytime, day or night)—or drop into the office (55 Lock Street, lower level) on weekdays during regular business hours.

What is SHARE?
SHARE is a 24/7 resource available to the community. SHARE counselors are trained professionals who assist community members dealing with acute and recent experiences, as well as experiences from the past.

What should you expect when contacting SHARE?

  • SHARE can provide immediate crisis counseling on their hotline, as well as ongoing counseling by appointment.
  • SHARE can facilitate medical appointments related to experiences of sexual misconduct.
  • SHARE can help you develop strategies for self-care, including finding ways to access support within your day-to-day life. SHARE can also assist with figuring out how and whether to tell friends or loved ones about your experience. 
  • SHARE can also assist you with contacting a Title IX Coordinator, the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct, or the Yale Police Department, if you decide to move forward with a formal or informal complaint, or file criminal charges.

What will SHARE do with your information?
SHARE services are confidential, and you can also call SHARE anonymously. SHARE does not provide information or reports to the Title IX Coordinators or anyone else, except at your request.

Title IX Coordinators

You can contact the University Title IX Coordinator, Stephanie Spangler, or Senior Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Jason Killheffer, at 203.432.6854 (working hours) or Valarie Stanley serves as the Senior Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Yale faculty and staff. You can reach her at 203.432.0849.

Each school at Yale has its own Title IX Coordinator(s). You may contact any Title IX coordinator, regardless of your affiliation. You can also email the Title IX office at

What is a Title IX Coordinator?
Title IX coordinators are employees to whom students, faculty, and staff may go when they have questions or would like to make a report concerning issues of sexual misconduct and gender-based discrimination.

What should you expect when contacting a Title IX Coordinator?

  • Title IX coordinators are available to talk with community members about their concerns and questions – no matter how big or small – about a specific incident or the campus sexual climate in general.  They can also connect you with other campus resources, such as the SHARE Center.
  • If you are a complainant, they will review your options and work with you to find accommodations that address your needs. These might include switching classes or residential housing assignments, or setting up a no-contact agreement. Some accommodations can be implemented without the alleged offender’s knowledge or involvement. If you chose to pursue a disciplinary or criminal complaint, they can help you take those next steps with the help of an adviser.
  • If you are a respondent, Title IX coordinators can review policies, provide and arrange training, and help you find an adviser.

What will a Title IX Coordinator do with your information?
A Coordinator will not share your information with anyone beyond the Title IX Office without your permission. In rare instances, some information may be shared with relevant administrators if the university needs to take action for reasons of community safety. In these instances, your privacy and wishes will be given full consideration. Read more information on confidentiality.

University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct (UWC)

You can contact the Chair or Secretaries of the UWC at 203.432.4449 (working hours).

What is the UWC?
The University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct is the internal disciplinary board designed to address allegations of sexual misconduct of every kind. It is available to students, faculty and staff, as described in the UWC procedures. The committee consists of approximately forty students, faculty, and administrative members drawn from throughout the University.

What should you expect when contacting the UWC?
Members of the UWC can answer your questions about the formal complaint process and procedures, and guide you through your options. Please note that working with the UWC does not prohibit you from reaching out and working with the Yale Police Department.

What will the UWC do with your information?
UWC members observe strict confidentiality with respect to all information they receive about a case.

Yale Police Department (YPD)

You can reach the YPD at 203.432.4400 (call anytime, day or night), and the Sensitive Crimes & Support coordinator at 203.432.9547 during working hours or via email at

What should you expect when contacting the YPD?

  • The YPD has a Sensitive Crimes and Support Coordinator who is dedicated to assisting with and investigating cases of sexual violence, harassment, assault, and other crimes of sexual misconduct including stalking, intimate partner violence, and workplace violence. 
  • You can talk with the YPD in an exploratory fashion without being committed to pressing charges. Pressing charges with the YPD does not preclude you from seeking informal remedies through Title IX or filing a formal complaint with the UWC.

What will the YPD do with your information?
The YPD will share information regarding incidents of sexual misconduct with the Title IX office and will advise you of (or about) the resources and assistance that the university can provide. For more information, see Understanding Confidentiality.

Not sure who to talk to? Contact the SHARE Center at 203.432.2000.