Does seeking a resolution with the University preclude me from filing a criminal complaint or pursuing legal recourse?

No. The University encourages you to seek whatever resolution is most comfortable to you. Any member of the Yale community may bring a complaint of sexual misconduct to the Yale Police Department (YPD).  Additionally, if you decide to turn to the police with a complaint of sexual misconduct, all University resources remain fully available to you for pursuing an informal or formal resolution.