Ways to Report

Title IX Coordinator (informal complaint)

When you speak with a Title IX coordinator, you can choose what information you would like to share. The coordinator will work with you to address any immediate concerns you may have related to safety, emotional well-being, and professional and academic requirements. See “Practical Assistance” for more information.

Once your immediate concerns are addressed, a Title IX coordinator will help you develop a set of strategies and accommodations to address any ongoing concerns and establish measures to help you continue your professional and educational activities. You may request that the coordinator have a conversation with the respondent about their behavior and its impacts. 

Title IX coordinators do not conduct formal hearings nor do they directly impose discipline. In cases involving sexual misconduct, discipline for student and faculty respondents may only be imposed through a formal complaint to the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct (UWC). While the Title IX coordinator for your school or unit may be best able to help you, you may contact any of the Title IX coordinators at any time by email or phone. View contact information for all of the University’s Title IX coordinators.

Want to learn more about what to expect when speaking with a Title IX Coordinator? Download PDF on Reporting Sexual Misconduct to a Title IX Coordinator.

University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct (formal complaint)

As the disciplinary board that addresses complaints of sexual misconduct, the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct is available to students, faculty, and staff from across the University for formal complaints of sexual misconduct (as described in the UWC procedures). 

There are many ways to begin the formal complaint process. You may go directly to the UWC staff, or work with a Title IX coordinator or SHARE counselor to coordinate the process. You can begin with an exploratory conversation, or move directly into filing a complaint.

After receiving a complaint, the UWC uses impartial fact-finders to gather evidence and then holds a formal hearing to determine whether a violation of University sexual misconduct policy has occurred. Normally, the formal complaint process takes about 60 days. UWC sanctions can include mandated training, reprimand, probation, suspension, and termination/expulsion.

Complainants and respondents may choose advisers to accompany them at every stage of the process.

The full UWC procedures are available here. An informative a set of videos made by  Communication and Consent Educators (Yale undergraduates) offer an accessible overview for anyone in the campus community.

Law Enforcement

The Yale Police Department (YPD) is staffed by sworn police officers who receive advanced training in crimes of interpersonal violence. If you would like to talk to a Yale police officer about your options, you can call YPD at 203.432.4400 and ask to speak with the Sensitive Crimes & Support Coordinator. They can talk to you about safety planning and inform you of your reporting options.

You can always speak to a police officer without filing a criminal report.

If an incident occurs outside the YPD’s jurisdiction, the YPD can assist in contacting the appropriate agency having law enforcement jurisdiction.

Pursuing a criminal complaint does not preclude you from seeking formal or informal resolutions with a Title IX coordinator or the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct.