Frequently Asked Questions

A coordinator will not share your information with anyone beyond the Title IX office without your permission. In the rare instance when a coordinator needs to take some action to protect your safety or the safety of the community, the coordinator will discuss this with you beforehand. Read more on confidentiality.

Yes. If you want to speak with someone anonymously, you can always contact the SHARE Center. Additionally, a Title IX coordinator can discuss options with you, without you having to share your name or personal information. If you want more information on potential remedies or accommodations, please reach out to a Title IX coordinator.

Starting August 2017, you will be able to report anonymously to SHARE through the LiveSafe app (Apple and Android).

It depends. Certain members of the Yale community have reporting responsibilities, and have an obligation to share information about incidents related to sexual misconduct with a Title IX coordinator. Individuals with reporting responsibilities include all faculty, deans, academic administrators, coaches, teaching assistants, and others who have an official supervisory or education role (e.g., CCEs, FroCos). Read more information on who has reporting responsibilities

There are many ways you can reach a solution without pursuing a formal complaint. A Title IX coordinator can help identify individualized informal resolutions and provide supportive measures. These include, but are not limited to, switching discussion sections, changing on-campus housing, or notifying the responsible party of inappropriate behavior. You are in control of the process. Whatever resolution you’re seeking will come through collaboration with your Title IX coordinator. Read more information about accommodations.

Yale policy strictly forbids retaliation against individuals who report sexual misconduct, file complaints of sexual misconduct, cooperate in the investigation of sexual misconduct, or hear formal complaints of sexual misconduct.

If you are concerned about potential retaliation, a Title IX coordinator can help you.  Title IX coordinators will work with you to address your concerns while protecting your identity.

No incident is too small or trivial for you to access Yale resources. If you are feeling worried or unsure about a situation, Yale has trained resources available to walk you through the experience. The SHARE Center is a great place to start, but you should also feel free to contact a Title IX coordinator. Both of these resources will work together with you to understand the situation and help you find a resolution

If you are not a member of the Yale community, but your experience of sexual misconduct involves someone who is, you will have access to Yale’s support and reporting resources. You can speak to the Sexual Harassment and Assault Response & Education (SHARE) Center, seek practical accommodations through a Title IX coordinator, pursue a formal complaint through the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct, and/or file a criminal complaint with the Yale Police Department.

If you are a member of the Yale community, but your experience of sexual misconduct involves someone who is not, you can also receive support and make a report to the University. The University may in turn report the misconduct to the appropriate authorities (e.g., the person’s employer, the New Haven Police Department, etc.).

If you are not an individual with reporting responsibilities, you are under no obligation to report an incident, but you may still do so. Reporting will allow the University to respond to the incident and provide resources as appropriate. If witnessing an incident has affected you, the SHARE Center is always available to talk to you. The SHARE Center can also help you provide support to the affected parties.

No, you can come forward at any time. However, you are encouraged to make a report as soon as possible, because it is often the case that the earlier an incident is reported, the more effectively it can be investigated. If the respondent is no longer a part of the Yale community by the time the report is made, the University may not be able to take disciplinary action against that person, although Yale will still strive to provide you with support and put a stop to any ongoing misconduct.

A Title IX coordinator will start working on the accommodations right away. In most cases, they will be confirmed within a couple of days. Many accommodations are ongoing, and the Title IX coordinator will collaborate with you to ensure that they are proceeding according to your needs.

No. The University encourages you to seek whatever resolution is most comfortable to you. Any member of the Yale community may bring a complaint of sexual misconduct to the Yale Police Department (YPD).  Additionally, if you decide to turn to the police with a complaint of sexual misconduct, all University resources remain fully available to you for pursuing an informal or formal resolution.